Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Chapter 13

This chapter is talking about death. I thought it was kind of weird that after a chapter about starting a new life with a new person, Achebe decided to write about death. Maybe that is symbolic or it foreshadows something.

This funeral reminds me of something that Mrs. Aigner told us about. I think it is the Irish or Scottish or something that instead of being sad at a funeral they have a party celebrating the life of the person who has passed. It is also similar to a wake, which does celebrate the life, but also is very somber. I wonder what a women's funeral or a man without title's funeral would be like? I think the only reason that this one was so alive was because the man was very old and had had a wonderful life.

The Okonkwo's gun part just came out of nowhere to me. I was totally not expecting that. To me it seemed weird that it was his gun as well. I was thinking that maybe what happened was Okonkwo's fault because early in the book it said that he was not very good with a gun. I don't think that he did it on purpose, but I think that maybe he loaded it wrong or aimed it weird. I did kind of feel bad for him and his family because they have to leave. If it was a total accident it doesn't make sense that they should leave. He didn't do it on purpose.

I liked how Okonkwo's friend Oberika was questioning the rules of his tribe. Because some of them do not make any sense, but they can't do anything about them. I guess they are made by the gods or whoever.

I would just like to add that this is definitely the last chapter in part one! The book is halfway over!!

1 comment:

Elaina said...

Yeah I agree with the whole celebrating thing at a funeral. There was a lot of dancing and happiness. It seems to me that they do a lot of partying a very festive village. Oh and this chapter really show how bad aim Okonkwo is I mean really bad. This was a huge turning point in the book.