Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ch. 11&12

The children return to find their mother still asleep. They slowly and cautiously wake her up. Her dream is described. It is about a man and her. The man is never named, but it is obviously supposed to be Velutha. In the dream when she touches him, his skin turns into chicken skin. This shows how bad it would be if they did get together. It shows that something horrible could happen. The author also mentions that Mammaci says that there is craziness in the family. Ammu kind of thinks that she is going crazy. She would have to be crazy to even be thinking about Velutha in that way. It is just so against the Indian society. They could both be severely published I think.

The next part shows a little more of the Indian culture. Rahel and Estha both attend a kathakali performance. It is a more traditional part of the Indian society. It is a play with only men telling stories of the Gods. The story that was told was about a mother that only revealed herself to one of her sons because he was a great warrior, and he was going to fight many of her other sons. The son is left with a decision. He must either go against his recently known mother or agree to her wishes. He decides to meet in the middle. He says that he will not kill four of her sons, but he will make no promises about the other one. I thought that this might parallel to the story somehow, but I am not sure. Maybe Estha is going to have to make an important decision such as this. I just think that since they went so in depth with this story that it must have some significance. I liked how this section showed more of the older culture in India. Up to this point it has all been pretty much present day stuff not much about tradition or cultural things.

They also keep mentioning the Heart of Darkness. I think that this a place. Maybe religious. I am not sure. This makes me think of cultural literacy in English. Joesph Conrad wrote a novel called Heart of Darkness. I wonder if the two relate or if it is just a conincidence.

I really wish that the author would just get to main section. I mean I guess that the novel is doing what it was meant to do, which is make me want to find out. The last few chapters have just been about very small sections of time, and I just wish that I knew what had happened already.

1 comment:

Irish said...

Good cultural observations. I guess it's hard to tell when the story actually takes place, but it does seem to be more modern in nature.

The Play is strange, and again shows us a male dominated society. Your idea of a parity is interesting, but I'm with you in wondering if there is a connection to this old Indian tale and the story at hand.

Heart of Darkness, by Conrad is about Africa isn't it? I never read it, so I'm not sure. Mrs. Fox would know I'll bet.

I guess the author is trying to draw out the suspense of the event, but in the process may have gotten a bit off track? I know what you mean though.

Mr. Farrell