Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ch. 21& My final thoughts....

From the beginning of the story pretty much, I knew that Ammu and Velutha were going to have an affair. I was waiting for it and waiting. It finally said that they did, but never really discussed it. Well, that is the entire last chapter. The last chapter is about their first night together. It was unplanned, but they followed their instincts, which lead them to each other. The way it was written did not make it sound dirty or racy but very special. I like that the novel ended this way because it was the main topic that I had wondered about the entire time. The last word was 'Tomorrow.' I also liked this. It means that they would meet again tomorrow. It just made it seem like the story wasn't over even though it was.

In the last chapter, it also explains the title. Throughout the novel, they mentioned different gods. In the last chapter, the explained the God of Small Things. Ammu and Velutha's relationship was that of small things. They could not be together in public, let anyone know, or even explore the possibility of marriage or long-term commitment. They concentrated on the glances, the touches, and the feelings. To me these things are not small, but to them they were and that is all they really needed to be happy. I liked that the title was explained and had some real connection to the story.

Overall, this was a very good novel. It was a pretty fast read, but if you take your time, you are sure to get a lot out of it. Some of it was hard to follow, but I was able to figure it out. I didn't really like how sad it was but even the sad ones are good sometimes.

1 comment:

Irish said...

Glad you liked it in the end. I could see during the blog that you were getting annoyed at the author's style. I know it's not always easy to follow the constant time-jumps through out the story.

Great insights, predictions, and comments. I enjoyed reading your blog.

YOUR SCORE: 30/30
Mr. Farrell