Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ch. 13&14

This section starts out by telling the story of how Margaret and Chacko met. I loved the way that the author wrote this section, and I am glad that she put it in the novel. It was such a cute story. It said that they were never really in love, but the way that it was written made it sound like love. It also mentions how Margaret came to Ayemenem with Sophie. She says that it was the biggest regret of her life. I can understand that because we know that Sophie will die, but I still think that it is weird that she went there in the first place. She left the man, caused him pain, and is pretty much hated by his family. The story says that she didn't know how much she hurt him, but I don't understand that either. I think that any way you look at it divorcing someone will hurt on both ends no matter the situation. I know that they remained friends, but it still just seems odd to me.

Then the story went back to the time when something bad is going to happen. Ammu is locked in her room and the children have disappeared. It then jumps to after Sophie dies without telling how it happened. This is really starting to get frustrating. I wish that the story would stop being so drawn out. Besides that apparently when this happened, Ammu said some very nasty things to Rahel and Estha. She told them that it was their fault, and she just wanted them to leave her alone. I know that she was upset but a parent should never say that to a child no matter the circumstances.

Next, they go back to the time before Sophie died. Velutha's father told Mammachi and Baby about the affair. Mammachi didn't believe him at first and was in shock. Baby went straight into damage control. She went to the police and made up a story about the children being kidnapped and Velutha attempting to rape Ammu. I think that this shows a lot about Baby's character. The reason she did this was not to help Ammu but keep the family name. She cares more about appearance and material things than her own family.

I am not sure when the next thing actually occurred, but it was definitely before Sophie's death. Chacko is talking with the Comrade Pillai about his Paradise Pickles & Preserves company. The subject of Velutha comes up. Pillai says that Chacko should fire him. He says that Velutha has been at rallies and other workers are upset that he has a better job than they have because he is an untouchable. I thought that maybe Pillai knew about the affair when he said this. I found out my assumption was true a few pages later.

1 comment:

Irish said...

Great story, I agree. I'm glad she left it in too. My wife's parents are divorced and yet they are still very civil to each other and talk at family events. It's very weird for me to this day, so I can relate.

It sounds as if you are becoming frustrated at the author, which I understand. The jumping around is a serious problem if you are having trouble following the plot.

Mr. Farrell