Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ch. 3&4

In chapter three, it is present time. Rahel walks in on her brother changing and just watches him, which was completely weird. They are twins and have grown up together, but still they are adults now. She did not find it weird, and we don't know how he felt about it because he didn't know that she was there.

Then it goes back to the movie The Sound of Music. Something very awkward and creepy happens to Estha. Right before they are talking about how he has just done his first grown-up thing and then this happens. I would really rather not say what it was, but I was shocked. I couldn't believe it was happening as I read it. I understand know why as an adult he doesn't speak, but I think that this was only the beginning of his horrible childhood. It kept saying that the man that did this to him knew where he lived. I think that he is going to go there and something even worse will happen.

Still in the past, Sophie Mol is coming to visit. She is Chacko's daughter. Her mother is also coming. She left Chacko for another man named Joe. This man recently died, and they needed to get away from their home in England.

This novel is very sad so far. Horrible things keep happening to this family. It is like they have no power to stop anything.

1 comment:

Irish said...

The novel is shocking and sad. India is not a very nice place, and horrible things do keep happening to nice people. We do find out why Estha doesn't talk much. He is scared for life.

I'm glad you pushed through this part. I can see why some may have stopped reading at this point.

Mr. Farrell