Friday, February 1, 2008

Chapter 15

I was surprised that Obierika was allowed to visit. Why isn't that against the rules? Well, I guess that it was 2 years later and maybe there was a waiting period or something. I don't know. It just seemed to me that if someone had been exiled that no one would be allowed to visit them.

What is an iron horse? That confused me.

Now the slave trade is coming into play, and I think that maybe this novel will get more interesting now. Maybe Okonkwo will get taken. He is such a good worker and is not very beloved in his new village. They might sell him out. I wouldn't doubt it.

I didn't understand why the whites killed that tribe. I know that the tribe killed one of there own, but I thought they would rather take the people away than kill them. They want them as workers, but they killed the tribe. These slave traders cannot have any moral sense at all so I would assume they would rather get the money than get revenge on a tribe for killing one of their men.

I found a quote in this chapter that I really liked it was "There is no story that is not true." I really liked this quote, and I think that it can describe this book very well. This novel is not a biography, but at one time or another everything in this book has happened to these tribes, and knowing that makes me sympathize more and try to relate to what they are going through and want learn about these people.

I thought that it was creepy when Okonkwo was thanking Obierika for everything that Obierika was like kill one of your sons. Then Okonkwo was like that will not be enough and then Obierika said then kill yourself and then Okonkwo was like forgive me I will stop thanking you and they laughed about it. That is so not funny at all. I guess it is just like now when people try to pay other people for something, and they keep telling them to stop. I guess this is their way of doing that, but I think it is to hardcore.

1 comment:

Irish said...

I think the banished is the one who is punished, but apparently visitors are allowed to go where they wish. That must explain why Obierika was allowed to visit?

Iron horse is a car? or motor cycle? Some sort of White-man transport?

This novel is post-slave trade I believe. I place it in the late 1870-80's era, but I could be wrong. Slave trade ended 1850's for the most part. White colonials didn't show up until AFTER the slave trade, which is what makes me think this.

I like your gem/quote too, and you have an interesting take on it. I never thought of that but I think you are right.

The "kill yourself" comment was not funny, I agree. Yet we see the issue of suicide come up later in the book. Interesting.

Mr. Farrell