Sunday, February 3, 2008

Chapter 22

Mr. Brown has died and in his place there is a new man named Mr. Smith. He is one of those God-fearing Christians that tries to instill fear. He is almost the opposite of Mr. Brown. His ways are much different, and he is not as well liked as Mr. Brown. Mr. Brown was just happy that people were listening and learning, but Mr. Smith wants them to be totally engulfed in this religion. He would rather have less people that were more dedicated than many people who only sort of believed. Mr. Smith even turned some people away, which I thought was wrong. The point is to invite everyone and be in the faith together. It is not like you get an invitation. Anyone should be able to worship. Also since Mr. Brown left there has been much more conflict between the tribe and the church.

Really, these people are trying to be a part of this new religion, but they just cannot get past their old one. When the egwugwu came, Christian woman were afraid to go outside, but if they totally believed in their new religion, they would know that this is not real and there is nothing to be afraid of. As hard as they try, I don't really think they can every truly commit to the new religion the same way they did to their old.

I couldn't believe that Enoch and some others wanted a holy war. Why on earth would they want that? I guess maybe for one to triumph over the other, but still it would only cause harm and pain. I think this is their primal African nature coming out.

I would be very suspicious if I had a translator. The translator for Mr. Smith slightly twisted his words. I mean it was the same basic concept, but the tone and the passion and fire were not there as Mr. Smith had said it. I know that it was for his own good. I just would have a very hard time trusting someone like that because you never know what they are saying.

So the tribe finally took revenge against invaders. I am happy they finally stood up for themselves, but still the missionaries are trying to help and not harm. I guess there are always two sides to this type of story. I just do not know which one I am on.

3 comments:

xoxsara said...

I didn't know which side I was on either when i read this chapter. I mean i know the missionaries are just trying to help and trying to make them understand their gods aren't real but I mean if they believe in more than one god i guess its ok?

Irish said...

I think the switch over of pasters (Mr. Brown to Mr. Smith) is symbolic to show the coming of the white man. At first they showed up and treated the tribes and natives nicely. Now we see that the longer the Whites stay, the more they want to change the way the tribe behaves.

The question to ask yourself is: Is it morally right to covert these people by pressuring them to attend the church? In America, we believe in the freedom of religion, so pushing a religion down somebody's throat just seems so alien to me!

Translation is a delicate art. I have a friend who is a translator and she tells me that sometimes in order to get the ideas across you have to add lib a bit, but not too much or else you aren't translating, you are screwing it up.

The tribe took revenge, but it will have a price. One that is hard to bear for the village. It sort of reminds me of the American West, and the Indians. They fought back against the white man, but were only punished more for their rebellions. Sad.

Mr. Farrell

the sheeman said...

Oh yeah, the wrath of the english is gonna hit like a ton of bricks. it is gonna be fast, but it is gonna be painful and last a long time. they are not going to be at all happy about the church being burned down.